Sunday, July 8, 2012

Saturday Night Something: Silver Screen Memories

My children loved Brave. So did I. It had its good and bad points, but I loved it. I loved it because I know it will be one of "those" movies.

"Those" Movies

They say that our sense of smell, possibly more than any of the senses, can illicit powerful feelings and memories. Based on my own experience, that's certainly true. I've also found that kids movies can be just as powerful. I remember when my oldest was small, the first movie I recall watching with her was Finding Nemo. We must've watched it dozens of times. It became one of "those" movies. Even when we watch it today, since my youngest has now began watching it, my memories of six or seven years ago come back.

I remember that little girl who's teeth were protruding a bit (a lot) due to her overuse of the pacifier, something we didn't even notice at the time, we thought she had the prettiest smile, EVER!

I remember Memo, not the shortened form of memorandum, but rather "meemo." I even recall how my wife and I thought we were prepared for parenthood, only to find our lives turned upside-down. We were fortunate to have a healthy and happy little girl, but, initially, setting our lives back on a good course was like guiding a ship through a hurricane. What I imagine it would be like, at least.

Every Season Has on of "Those" Movies

Following Finding Nemo, there came classics like Toy Story (1, 2 and 3), The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella. There were also instant classics like The Incredibles (still awesome), Madagascar, Nanny McPhee, Cars (1 and 2, both awesome), Adventures of Tin Tin, Spy Kids (1 and 2, not 3 or 4), Bedtime Stories, and Megamind. There have been many more, each memorable in their own right. The best thing about them is that each reminds me of a particular time and place. They all bring back memories of Friday and Saturday nights in our family room floor with popcorn, blankets, pillows, even makeshift tents, in front of the television. In short, they remind me of togetherness, lots of hand-holding, children in our laps, carrying them to bed after they'd fallen asleep, and even, "Oh, daddy, just one more movie before bed."

Sure, they also remind me of the other things going on in our adult lives throughout the years, some good, some bad. I suppose we all have that stuff, but movies and movie nights have always made me forget the not-so-good times.

I know it isn't so much the movies, themselves, that have helped my family make special memories that will last forever (I still remember being five-years old and watching Planet of the Apes, and later, Black Sheep Squadron and Wonderful World of Disney on television with my family every week). It's simply the fact that we have been together, close.

The films each carry memories from their particular season and I'm thankful for that. I hope that, when I'm 90, I'll plug them in the DVD player (or whatever mode of visualization we will be using then) and the memories will come rolling back.

What about you? What kinds of things, or what movies, do the same for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment